Home History Links Allotment by-laws Orchard Map Gallery Contact Members only
©2014 - 2017 Imberhorne Allotment Association (Paul Phillips)

History of Imberhorne Allotments

The land that the allotment site occupies is referred to in  1597 when it was part of the freehold called Pulters held by  John Goodwin and was part of the manor of Imberhorne  being 8 acres and paying 8d per annum rent. In 1842 it was  part of William Pattenden's tenement of 6ac with cottage and  garden, the rest being meadows. In 1851 William's son John  Pattenden had taken it over and he was described as being  a farmer of 8ac.A map of 1876 shows there was still a  Cottage at the site. Between 1876 and 1898 – the Allotments  were formed, probably associated with the building of the  Blount’s workforce houses along the London Road at this  period. In 1898 the area is shown as ‘Allotment Gardens’ on a map  of the land owned by the Imberhorne Estate (this included  many of the new houses along the London Road at North  End). In 1911 it is shown as Allotment Gardens on the deeds  to Clevecote the market garden opposite. Sometime  between 1876 and 1905 Sir Edward Blount became the  President of the North End and East Grinstead Cottage  Garden and Allotment Association - This would have included  the Imberhorne Allotments as they were on his land.  This was the  same Sir Edward Blount who purchased Imberhorne House (later known as Imberhorne Manor) in 1876. From 1905,  Sir Edward Blount (grandson of the 1st Sir Edward) was the head of the North End Allotments and Gardens Association  - This would have been the Imberhorne Allotments as they were on Blount family land. Before 1908 ‘there was a public  lime kiln at North End’ (from W Hills Book on East Grinstead, written in 1908) - the 1876 OS map shows a circular  feature in the rear garden of the cottage within what is now the allotments, this could have been the lime kiln (or more  likely the well on plot 13A). It probably ceased operating prior to 1876 as that OS series map tended to label lime kilns  that were operating when it was surveyed. On 14 Feb 1955 the land was sold to the Council by Marguerite and Clare  Blount to pay off death duties.  The allotments were then run by East Grinstead Urban District Council (as was) until  1998 when the Imberhorne Allotment Association was formed. The prime reason for the formation of the Association  was that it was granted a 21-year lease for the allotments and this gave us some security of tenure (the allotments are  very conveniently located and could be considered prime building land).       Thanks to Jeremy Clarke of the Felbridge and District History Group for background information.  .
Imberhorne Allotment Association
History
Site Menu
©2014 -2017  Imberhorne Allotment Association (Paul Phillips)

History of Imberhorne Allotments

The land that the allotment site occupies is referred to in  1597 when it was part of the freehold called Pulters held  by John Goodwin and was part of the manor of  Imberhorne being 8 acres and paying 8d per annum rent.  In 1842 it was part of William Pattenden's tenement of 6ac  with cottage and garden, the rest being meadows. In 1851  William's son John Pattenden had taken it over and he  was described as being a farmer of 8ac.A map of 1876  shows there was still a Cottage at the site. Between 1876  and 1898 – the Allotments were formed, probably  associated with the building of the Blount’s workforce  houses along the London Road at this period.  In 1898 the area is shown as ‘Allotment Gardens’ on a  map of the land owned by the Imberhorne Estate (this  included many of the new houses along the London Road  at North End). In 1911 it is shown as Allotment Gardens  on the deeds to Clevecote the market garden opposite.  Sometime between 1876 and 1905 Sir Edward Blount  became the President of the North End and East  Grinstead Cottage Garden and Allotment Association -  This would have included the Imberhorne Allotments as  they were on his land.  This was the same Sir Edward  Blount who purchased Imberhorne House (later known as  Imberhorne Manor) in 1876. From 1905, Sir Edward  Blount (grandson of the 1st Sir Edward) was the head of  the North End Allotments and Gardens Association - This  would have been the Imberhorne Allotments as they were  on Blount family land. Before 1908 ‘there was a public  lime kiln at North End’ (from W Hills Book on East  Grinstead, written in 1908) - the 1876 OS map shows a  circular feature in the rear garden of the cottage within  what is now the allotments, this could have been the lime  kiln (or more likely the well on plot 13A). It probably  ceased operating prior to 1876 as that OS series map  tended to label lime kilns that were operating when it was  surveyed. On 14 Feb 1955 the land was sold to the  Council by Marguerite and Clare Blount to pay off death  duties.  The allotments were then run by East Grinstead  Urban District Council (as was) until 1998 when the  Imberhorne Allotment Association was formed. The prime  reason for the formation of the Association was that it was  granted a 21-year lease for the allotments and this gave  us some security of tenure (the allotments are very  conveniently located and could be considered prime  building land).       Thanks to Jeremy Clarke of the Felbridge and District  History Group for background information.  .
Imberhorne Allotment Association